Thursday, November 20, 2014

end of the season, another starts

corn harvested, tillage done, and ready for 2015

Seems that the last two years ended early with cold temperatures stopping fieldwork in a matter of days.  The ground is froze 6-8 inches deep so if tillage is not complete the farmer may have another chance if the rain and 40 degree temps forecast come true.  I did get everything finished so this is what it looks like now.  Some cornstalk residue is remaining that will break down over the winter and spring.  Lime was spread to correct the ph of the soil, and fertilizer applied to replace what was used by this crop plus a little more.
   It is undecided at this time if the field will be in corn or soybeans next year.  I have orders placed for next years seed but still need to book more so time will be spent going over harvest results on my farm and some test locations that give me comparisons.  There has been a soybean variety that has done well for me and was my best bean again this year but it is no longer in production.  I will be paying extra attention on what will replace it on the majority of my acres.
  Corn or soybeans?  If nitrogen fertilizer prices drop It looks like corn would have an advantage.  Production capabilities and petroleum price show some promise of a decline but will it happen needs some more time.  Demand for soybean meal has driven the prices for soybeans and this spring will tell me what the markets are encouraging, corn or beans. I may be making my decision as late as possible so am glad that all of my fields are prepared for spring either way.
   My yields were less that projected but we have been blessed with what we have been given.

                                                              Serving together,  Dean  

No comments:

Post a Comment